Woodie's is the market-leading DIY, Home & Garden Retailer in Ireland with 35 stores nationwide & an online presence. As well as being listed as one of the 75 Best Large Workplaces in Europe, we are proud to be the highest-placed retailer in the Great Place to Work Index in Ireland for the past four years running. Woodie's is officially recognised as a Best Workplace for Women and is an accredited Investor in Diversity.
We currently have an opportunity for a People-focused leader to join our Finance team in the position of Financial Controller.
Reporting to the Finance Director, the Financial Controller is responsible for leading the general Finance function, including Accounts Payable, General Ledger & Balance Sheet, Banking, Fixed Assets & Capital Expenditure.
Knowledge & Experience
- A Qualified Accountant with a minimum of 5 years PQE in industry- within an operational leadership role
- 5+ years in a similar role
- Proven experience of leading a successful team
- The Financial controller is a key member of the senior management team and will support the wider business in meeting our strategic objectives.
- Ensure all, tax, accounting, legal and compliance requirements are met
- Lead the team ensuring clear goals and objectives are defined and met on a regular basis
- Allocate and handle resources according to changing business needs
- Lead the process for budgeting, forecasting and financial planning
- Develop and implement effective strategies and procedures to drive efficiencies across the finance function
- Developing sustainable relationships with colleagues & suppliers to ensure compliance
- Collaborate with our Commercial Team to ensure we deliver our margin objectives in all areas
- Develop cost control measures, cost estimates, and forecasts to support business budgets and plans. Handle the cash-flow of the business and ensure the company is fully funded to implement our growth plans
- Support a great working environment, creating a highly engaged and motivated team, who understand their objectives and their role in achieving them
- Champion & encourage an understanding of risk and a culture of compliance in the business
- Collaborate closely with HR to develop colleague training initiatives
- Challenge, review, evaluate and update existing internal controls & procedures
- Ensure that all relevant company policies and procedures are being followed and improve processes and policies where needed
- Maintaining a professional image for the company in all dealings with both internal and external partners
- Build and maintain strong relationships across the business
- Technical expert responsible for IFRS 16 reporting and any new accounting standards
- Key point of contact internally & externally, including business partnering activities
- Excellent strategic and commercial competence coupled with a practical pragmatic approach
- Consistent track record in leading and motivating people to drive operational performance
- Drive, passion and flair, combined with resilience and effectiveness
- Positive can-do attitude
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The flexibility and willingness to continue to learn
- The ability to lead change
- Excellent organisation skills and attention to detail
- Superb analytical skills
- Knowledge and experience of working in the industry would be an advantage
In order to become the market leader in DIY and Gardening we know that the way we work and how we behave is really important. We describe this through our behavioural framework, and each role has a number of key behaviours. These include but are not limited to:
- Organising: Organising the workload and output of the Finance department to deliver our business objectives.
- Supporting: Encourages and supports colleagues & managers; gives feedback and coaches them to make the most effective decisions.
- Building Relationships: Works well with others, engages with colleagues and the wider team to form strong working relationships.
- Communicating: Articulates messages clearly, listens to others, and engages colleagues in the message being communicated
- Influencing: Confidently uses relevant information to persuade others and gain agreement and commitment.
- Challenging: Confidently speaks up and questions ineffective ways of working in an appropriate manner and constructively articulates own views.
- Planning: Creates effective plans, prioritizes work, anticipates obstacles and monitors performance against the plan.
- Decision-making: Makes effective decisions, takes ownership and acts with confidence, taking decisive action and considered risks.
- Managing Emotions: Recognises the impact of emotions on themselves and others and modifies their behaviour.
Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary (D.O.E)
- Company Pension
- Annual Bonus Scheme
- Private Healthcare
- Colleague Discount
- Paid Maternity & Paternity leave
- Sick-Pay Scheme
- Hybrid Working
- Wellness Initiatives
- Flexi-Wage - Choose your own pay cycle!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Woodie's. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.